Steinbach City Council has determined that the location of the new curling rink will be attached to the east side of the T.G. Smith Arena in downtown Steinbach.
The intent is to now move to the design and tendering process as quickly as possible with construction to start in fall of 2013.
Future phases of the proposed Downtown Events Centre are still in the discussion phase. At this point it is not known what the completed phases will look like.
The location was chosen for a number of reasons including:
- Attaching to the T.G. Smith Arena will provide a large indoor gathering area between buildings
- Gives the community an outside meeting space that will link up future lineal green space with the creek running the length of Elmdale Street
- Lumber Avenue will become one of the focus points/entrance points to the Downtown Events Centre
- Leaves the existing green space with its stand of mature trees in place at the site of former Dr. Krueger residence
- Recognizes the importance of downtown to the City and the key role it plays in connecting everyone in the community
- Adding recreation space downtown is an effective strategy to sustain downtown vibrancy