The City of Steinbach is reminding residents that they play an important role in snow clearing activities and safety. As the winter season is upon us, the city is offering up some helpful reminders to the public so that operations work smoothly.
Public Works clears the snow from city streets and sidewalks as soon as possible after significant snowfall events, and sanding and salting of the streets occurs as conditions warrant. The City has priority routes that are cleared first following a snowfall, such as streets and sidewalks by the hospital and seniors’ homes, but they always try to work as quickly and responsibly as possible.
Here are some of the actions and responsibilities residents can practice ensuring safe and efficient snow removal service:
- Report icy roads, intersections, or sidewalks to the Public Works Department by calling 204-346-6215.
- After snowfalls, residents are required to keep parked vehicles off of all city streets until such time that streets can be cleared. Vehicles left parked on the street may be ticketed or towed.
- Do not park on streets that have signage indicating there will be snow removal within the next 24 hours.
- Do not park vehicles on driveways in such a way that they block any part of the sidewalk to ensure clear passage for the sidewalk plow.
- Truck tractors and trailers (including construction, trade or recreational trailers) should not be parked on a street for longer than two hours, unless the vehicle in question is parked for use by a tradesman working on premises in the immediate area.
- Equipment operators need considerable space to maneuver. As a motorist or pedestrian, make sure equipment operators are aware of you prior to crossing behind or near them.
- Stay back at least 50 feet from graders and sanding equipment.
- Pedestrians and cyclists should wear reflective clothing and ensure they are highly visible to all traffic. Cyclists should always ride in the same direction as traffic. Pedestrians should always walk on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic.
- Wearing earphones or winter headgear can inhibit your hearing or peripheral vision. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings.
- Parents should talk to their children about building snow forts and tunnels in or sliding on snow piles in cul de sacs, on boulevards, and any other areas where snow removal takes place. Ensure children know to stay at least 50 feet away from operating equipment.
- Property owners are responsible for clearing windrows from driveways as street clearing operations are in progress; The City removes windrows whenever possible. Please note that the ridge of snow left across driveways resulting from the clearing of sidewalks is not cleared by City crews.
- Snow from private property must be removed from the site or stored on the property. Pushing or depositing snow from private property onto public roadways, boulevards, or sidewalks is not allowed.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning up after the sidewalk plow completes its pass. This should be done regularly to avoid snow build up that may hinder driveway and property access as well as future snow clearing operations.
The City of Steinbach thanks all residents in advance for their cooperation.