The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds travellers to plan ahead for their Victoria Day weekend travel plans. The CBSA is expecting higher traffic volumes throughout the holiday weekend, particularly on Sunday, May 21 and Monday, May 22.
The Emerson port of entry is open 24-7 and has the greatest capacity to process large volumes of travellers. During peak hours, all primary inspection lanes will be open and the port will be operating at maximum capacity.
Other border crossings in southern Manitoba are also expected to see larger traffic volumes on the long weekend including Gretna, Winkler and South Junction.
The following are some smart crossing tips:
- Beat the border rush. Cross as early in the day as possible.
- Keep travel documents handy. Make sure that each passenger has the correct travel document. An officer will scan them.
- Know your purchases, know where your receipts are, and know your personal exemptions and restrictions.
- Know the contents of your vehicle.
- Not sure? Ask the CBSA officer