As the result of a residential chimney fire, an 88-year-old man died in his residence located in the Rural Municipality of Springfield.

On February 20, 2020, at approximately 3:30am, a homeowner called 911 to advise of a chimney fire at his residence located in the RM of Springfield.

Police say that the caller, an 88-year-old man, indicated that he was the sole occupant of the home.

As a result of the call, RCMP, along with local fire and emergency medical services personnel, responded to the scene. Upon arrival, the 88-year-old male was found unresponsive within the home. Despite efforts of first responders, the man was pronounced deceased on scene.

RCMP report that an autopsy has been scheduled. The Office of the Fire Commissioner is also assisting with the ongoing investigation.