A 49-year-old Steinbach man is facing numerous child pornography related charges after being arrested in connection to an RCMP Internet Child Exploitation Unit investigation.
The Manitoba RCMP Internet Child Exploitation Unit (ICE) recently received several complaints from the RCMP National Child Exploitation Crime Centre regarding the possession of child pornography in southeastern Manitoba. As a result of these complaints, on January 22 and January 27, 2021, the ICE Unit, RCMP Digital Forensic Services Unit, along with Steinbach RCMP, executed two search warrants in the area. The targets of the search warrants were unrelated, but both were connected to the complaints received by the ICE unit.
As a result of the execution of the search warrant on January 22, 2021, a 49-year-old Steinbach man was arrested and charged with multiple child pornography offences. As a result of the execution of the search warrant on January 27, 2021, a 24-year-old Stuartburn man was arrested and also charged with multiple child pornography offences.
Police say that both males were released from custody to attend court in Steinbach in March of 2021.
RCMP report that both men are conditions stating that they are not to:
- possess, access, or use computers (or related devices) or cell phones
- use or access any Internet service
- access any social media websites or apps
- have any contact or be in the presence of anyone under the age of 18 years
- attend any park or public swimming area where persons under the age of 18 years are present or can reasonably be expected to be present, or a daycare centre, school ground, playground, or community centre.
The RCMP ICE Unit says that they are committed to combating the online exploitation of children in Manitoba.