The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 5.5 per cent provincially and 5.1 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30am on April 9, 2021, 179 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, three cases have been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 176 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 34,969.
Public health officials advise that three additional deaths in people with COVID-19 are being reported today:
- a male in his 20s from the Northern health region;
- a male in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region; and
- a female in her 70s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Golden Links Lodge.
Public health officials are announcing 37 new screened or sequenced cases of the variants of concern have been detected today. Of these, 33 are B.1.1.7 variants of concern with 28 from the Winnipeg health region, one from Interlake-Eastern health region, three from the Prairie Mountain Health region and one from the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region. Four new screened or sequenced uncategorized cases have been detected with one from the Interlake-Eastern health region and three from the Winnipeg health region.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
- two cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
- 84 cases in the Northern health region;
- nine cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
- seven cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and
- 77 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
- 1,180 active cases and 32,840 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
- 56 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 80 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 136 hospitalizations;
- 14 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 21 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 35 ICU patients;
- the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 949; and
The total number of screened or sequenced cases related to variants of concern for the following:
- B.1.1.7 is 332;
- B.1.351 is 20;
- cases that have not been categorized is 24; and
- the total number of variant of concern cases is 376.
Ongoing reviews of active case information has allowed for the removal of an additional 317 cases to ‘recovered’ from ‘active’ and provides a more accurate reporting of active cases.
Laboratory testing numbers show 2,474 tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 599,622.
An outbreak has been declared at Extendicare/Oakview Place personal care home. The facility has been moved to the Critical (Red) level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System.
An outbreak has been declared at Boissevain School in Boissevain. The school has moved to remote learning until April 23 as an enhanced measure and response, and the facility has been moved to the Restricted (Orange) level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System.
Additional data related to COVID-19, including data on outbreaks as well as some downloadable and historic data, can be found at https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit gov.mb.ca and click on your region.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, including information the online screening tool, testing criteria and locations, self-isolation requirements, public health fundamentals and the provincial response level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit manitoba.ca.