The Manitoba Wildfire Service advises that due to continued dry conditions, strong winds and predicted warming weather, level two travel restrictions have been put in place for many parts of southern Manitoba, in addition to previously announced burning permit restrictions.

Travel restrictions are now in place for Areas 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8, as well as the Lauder Sandhills Wildlife Management Area within the Rural Municipality of Grassland and includes all provincial parks south of the 53rd parallel, which includes all provincial parks south of Grand Rapids and Easterville.

The area of travel restrictions is bordered by PR 302 to PTH 12 to PR 317 to PTH 59 and PR 319 on the west, all the way to the Ontario border, and from the U.S. border north to the Dauphin River and Berens River. In southwest Manitoba, restrictions cover the area from PTH 10 and PR 268 on the west, north to Lake Winnipegosis to PR 327 to the south shore of Cedar Lake and north shore of Lake Winnipeg and Lake Winnipeg on the east, and south to PR 271 to Lake Winnipegosis (south shore) to Lake Manitoba (north shore) to Lake St. Martin/Dauphin River and Dauphin River to Berens River.

A map of these restrictions can be found at

Level two travel restrictions include the following:

  • motorized backcountry travel, including ATVs and other off road vehicles, is prohibited unless under the authority of a travel permit;
  • camping is restricted to developed campgrounds;
  • campfires are permitted only between the hours of 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.;
  • wayside parks remain open;
  • landing and launching is restricted to developed shorelines only; and
  • industry and outfitters should contact local Conservation and Climate offices for more information.

Many municipalities have already proactively implemented burning restrictions this spring, so also check with local municipal offices for more information or view the interactive Current Municipal Burning Restrictions at The province will not issue any burning permits within, or areas bordering any municipality where the burning restrictions are already in place.

For further information on the fire status, maps, travel restrictions, burning permit cancellations or other restrictions go to

For areas where ATV use is allowed, riders are reminded they can play a role in protecting against wildfires. Anyone using an ATV is asked to stay on developed trails, ensure the ATV has a working spark arrestor, check areas around the engine and exhaust frequently, and carefully remove and extinguish any debris from these areas. Operators are also reminded to be prepared by carrying a fire extinguisher, axe and shovel.

To report a wildfire, call 911 or the T.I.P. line (toll-free) at 1-800-782-0076. The T.I.P. line is dedicated for reporting fires.