The Independent Investigation Unit (IIU) has terminated its investigation into an allegation of serious injuries sustained by a male during an arrest by the Winnipeg Police Service (WPS).

The WPS informed the IIU of the incident on July 24, 2021. According to the notification received, at approximately 6:29 p.m. on July 23, 2021, officers attended an apartment block on Young Street to arrest a male suspect on the strength of five outstanding warrants.

Upon officer arrival, the male attempted to evade capture by jumping from the second storey window of the residence. The male sustained an ankle injury upon striking the ground and was unable to escape. He was taken into custody and transported to Seven Oaks General Hospital. It was determined he had sustained a fractured ankle. He was treated and released by medical staff and later detained in custody.

As this matter concerned a serious injury, this was a mandatory investigation for which IIU was required to assume responsibility. A team of IIU investigators was assigned to the investigation.

On August 6, IIU investigators met and interviewed the male, resulting in the following key information and disclosures:

  • At approximately 6:00 p.m., the male was walking on the outside balcony of the apartment block.
  • He was on a second storey balcony when he was approached by a police officer.
  • The police officer said “hey”, and the male stated he looked at the officer and started to run.
  • He stated that as he ran down the stairs, he was at the first balcony and jumped.
  • He stated that as soon as he landed on the ground, he knew something was wrong and that his ankle was “snapped”.
  • He stated that the police arrested him and he was handcuffed.

After reviewing this information, it was clear that the male was solely responsible for his decision to run from police and for the injury sustained because of that decision (a fractured ankle).

It has been determined that no member of the WPS was responsible for, nor contributed in any way, to the injuries sustained by the male.

Accordingly, the civilian director has directed that the IIU investigation be terminated and the file closed.