Part 1 - Batter
Combine all ingredients together (except the fruit salt) with 1 cup of water in a deep bowl. Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
Part 2 - Cake Prep
ghee (clarified butter)
urad dal (split black lentils)
broken cashew nuts
finely chopped green chilies
- Heat the oil and ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, cashew nuts, curry leaves, cumin seeds, green chilies and asafoetida. Mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the prepared semolina batter and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 2 tsp water over the batter.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour a little batter into each greased idli mould and steam for 7-8 minutes or till the idles are cooked.
Cool slightly, take them out of the mould and serve immediately with potato masala and coconut chutney.